W&M secure an exciting tie

After two away defeats to strong sides to start the season, Wirksworth and Middleton’s under 17s faced Ambergate in their third match.

Ambergate chose to bat first and, despite giving eight players the chance to bowl, W&M restricted them to 70-5 off their 20 overs. Jake Howard took 2-10 off four overs, with Gareth Bates and Michael Wilson getting a wicket each, to go with an early run out.

Shuffling the batting order to give more players a bat didn’t work so well, with only 13 runs from the bats of the first six batsmen. Max Marshall led a recovery before being caught by Penman off Hardy for 32, and at the end W&M were slightly relieved to reach 70-8 to tie the match.

Having beaten Clifton the previous week, W&M’s under 15s were brought back to earth by Matlock. Having reached 90-6 in their innings, W&M might have thought they had a chance but strong Matlock batting saw the home side reach the required target for the loss of just one wicket with overs to spare.

In their first match of the season, the under 12 Warriors also found playing Matlock away to be too big a challenge. Having been run close the previous week, by the u12s Kingsfield team, Matlock pulled no punches and won comfortably.

The Kingsfield team were missing some strong girls when they played at home against an inexperienced Ashbourne U12 side on Wednesday. Nevertheless, batting first, W&M scampered to a net score of 189 by taking lots of quick singles, with Grace Bradbury out only once for her 14 and Beth Harwood 13 not out.

Despite Dean’s 17 not out, Ashbourne could only reach net 166 against some good bowling, Miranda Marshall, Charlie Mellor and Beth Harwood being slightly unlucky not to get more than one wicket a piece. The win was welcome, but more than that it was an excellent example of competitive youth cricket being played to develop young players in a friendly atmosphere.

Visiting to Belper Meadows, W&M under 11s lost the toss and were asked to bat first. Richard Tunnicliffe and Harry Wanford built the foundations of the Wirksworth innings with positive running and aggressive shot selection, including a massive six over square leg by Tunnicliffe.

The rest of the team batted solidly and sensibly, reaching net 253, helped by some wayward bowling. James McCabe and Harrison Fern opened Wirksworth’s attack, with Fern bagging his first league wicket. Unfortunately, Wirksworth’s bowlers then started to spray the ball about, giving Kyle Pearce a real headache behind the stumps.

The introduction of Tunnicliffe, Wanford and the ever-reliable Charlie Mellor swung the game Wirksworth’s way, the latter two getting a precious wicket each. Winning by only six runs, this was a hard-fought two points.

The kwik cricketers managed wins against Little Eaton and Duffield at Mickleover on Friday evening. The team will be hoping to make it six out of six when they host the kwik cricket this Friday on Wirksworth Rec from 6.15 pm